Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cornrows and Box Braids

Ok, so last time I was talking about giving Kurly T a rest from the beads so we've done box braids. I got the inspiration from Aisha and her Kurly kid who was featured on Beads, Braids and Beyond with some lovely box braids. We washed and conditioned with Mixed Chicks, moisturized with Africa's Best Kid's Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizer, oiled with our oil mix and sealed with castor oil. I did the box braids on damp hair using Taliah Waajid Kinky, Wavy, Natural Herbal Style & Shine. After using that sample a few weeks ago I was sold. I love this stuff! Kurly T hasn't had unbanded box braids in a while and when I used to do them, they would frizz before I'd get done braiding down to the end. These box braids are smooth and shiny all the way to the end. I added a little more product on the end to twirl the braid and keep it from looking bushy and to give it a curly end. I must admit that after I was done I missed seeing her with her beads. But I started playing around with different barrettes at the end of her cornrows and headbands and they did the trick. So we were still able to accessorize without damage. Yay! Kurly T's dad said she looked "grown," and he missed her ponytails, but he likes it. We hope you likey. Happy Styling

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

**UPDATE**
I really enjoyed Kurly T's hair in this style. The Taliah Waajid Kinky, Wavy, Natural Herbal Style & Shine had awesome hold for this style. Her braids were not as fuzzy as I thought they would be. However, her hair wasn't as shiny after a few days, but it was definitely moisturized because I sprayed her hair daily with our spritz bottle of my leave in concoction. I missed her beads terribly, but the ribbons, headbands and elastics were a nice touch. I think I'll invest in more of these type of accessories while we're on our bead break.

6 comments:

  1. I love the style! I wish I could do my daughter's hair like that! I mean I could, but it's way too long, itd take forever!

    I'm with you on the beads break! There are time where I wanna resort back to beads, but I say NOPE..its hard to break away from lol.

    http://www.beautifulbiracial.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks real nice on her! I like it!... I was wondering what you use as a leave in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, u did very well..i love her box braids combined with the cornrow..tumbs up! Also her hair is so long!! Its growing like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her hair looks great!! Thanks for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks AWESOME! Lot's of variety with the style, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so cute! I love box braids, I just hate how long they take to get out!!

    ReplyDelete